Friday, February 28, 2014

Homemade Laundry Detergent!

I did it!! I actually made homemade laundry detergent.  I've been seeing people do it, and pinning it left and right and finally decided to take the plunge after trying a sample of some from a Women's event my church put on.

Here's the recipe I used adapted from Being Creative Blog
-1 76oz box of Borax
-1 4lb box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda
-1 55oz box of Arm & Hammer Washing Soda
-3 Bars of Fels-Naptha
-Essential Oil (a few drops)  I used Young Livings Lemon!  (totally optional)

I started by grating the 3 bars of Fels-Naptha in my food processor.  You can use a regular cheese grater too, but I wanted it done fast! I then put on my chopping blade and made it even more fine, so it was almost a powder.

Once that was done I got a trash bag and dumped everything in it and mixed it all around so the ingredients were equally distributed.

Only need to use 1-2 TBL per load, which means this amount should last us about 8 months (I do approximately 6 loads of laundry a week).

Prices for items at Walmart
Borax: $3.97
Baking Soda: $2.24
Washing Soda: $3.24
Fels-Naptha: $0.97x3 = $2.91

TOTAL COST: $12.36

I wish I would have taken pictures, but I'm not in a blogging mindframe yet so I missed my opportunity.  That being said Addy "helped" throughout the entire process which was super fun!! I love this age where you can get chores done with "helpers!"


No comments:

Post a Comment